Monday, September 8, 2008

Strange Gifts

Some people have strange brew, I have strange gift(s). I was reminded of these strange gifts while watching The Graham Norton Show. It was the 2007 Christmas episode and the guests were talking about odd/terrible gifts they received for Christmas. The female guest mentioned that she received a Crock-pot from her husband…which isn’t great… Admittedly, it is not the most romantic gift that a wife could receive from her husband but it is actually not too bad…not super bad…not really…

The Crock-pot isn’t good but it is better than…library books. Yep…library books for Christmas. Should you receive library books for Christmas, please know that they are not really fun. I probably should have kept the books and forced my brother to pay the late fees...

What could be worse than library books? Why a box of Kleenex of course! My aunt was on a roll because she gave each of my brothers a packet of oatmeal. Yep, oat-meal...mmmmmm....

Now adays, I thankfully give away more of these strange gifts than I receive. While the gifts of my past do not excuse my behavior, they help explain why I give so many of these things away. For example, I attended a wedding reception a couple of weeks ago. Wedding receptions are normally rife with high expectations of the perfect gift for the perfect couple on the perfect day.

This bride and groom have a great sense of humor! Hurray, BB can go crazy! I normally make “adult only” piñatas but I thought this newly married couple needed something extra special for their early flight to Hawaii. I gave them a nice gift basket full of life’s simple pleasures. I suppose that is fancy verbiage to say that I gave them Twinkies for their wedding. To be honest, I did label them with “his” and “hers.” I think the labels added a touch of sophistication that is not normally associated with creamed filled sponge cakes. The Twinkies were not alone. I gave the happy couple Red Bull, Yogi Detox Tea, Pixie sticks, cigarettes and tons of lighters. It was an early flight to Hawaii and I wanted to make sure this couple boarded their plane on time!

I have to admit that I reached a new plateau of gifts for this wedding. I try to excel at everything I do and I want my gifts to go that extra mile and serve a purpose in the recipient’s life. My voodoo dolls are no exception. They aren’t better but they are different, how often have you see Hello Kitty Voodoo Dolls?! The transformation was amazing – compare the original and the Hello Kitty doll Voodoo Doll. The Hello Kitty Voodoo Doll just seems to have that certain something…other than the look of disgust, distain or shear panic...



Original Doll:




New Hello Kitty Voodoo Doll:




2 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

I love my Hello Kitty Voodoo Doll. Not only do I get to stick pins in a stupid pink doll (big smile) - but have a purpose, and instructions. Happiness, shear happiness.

Babbling Banshee said...

Oh hey, I forgot to post instructions of how to use the doll and the phrase chart...I should do that!