Monday, December 1, 2008

Organizational Chart

Everyday on my way to work, I drive by a huge field. On one side of the field, there is a line of young trees. Giant birds of prey insist on perching in these trees to survey the field for their next meal. There must be tons of food wandering around in the field because the birds are there every day.

I like looking at the birds because so many of their fields were recently plowed under and turned into housing developments and strip malls. While I like seeing these guys, I have to laugh at them because the limbs on the trees are thin and cannot support the weight of the bird without bending. Also the bird is flopping around a bit in the tree from the wind, rain or that the branch breaking.

When I look at these giant birds in these tiny trees, I can't help but think about how they represent what happens in some companys. There are all these huge fish in a tiny pond but of course fish don't look like magnificent creatures, especially when they are sitting in trees. So these raptors do a better job to represent the magnificent creatures of a company.

Below is a watercolor rendition of a raptor in a tree.


Unfortunately I only had time to paint one bird. If I had started painting earlier in the day, I could have added more birds to the tree thus creating an organizational chart.

0 comments: