Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Saw the Commercial

I just saw the commercial for Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction (I believe this link takes you to the Spanish version) and I must say that the advertising agency …well…did an okay job.

This commercial should work for most of the population although this is only my assumption because marketing research is not my forte. I do not make a living by asking people how laundry detergent (or cologne) makes them feel (thank heavens I do not do this for a living because I would probably scream at them to hurry up and make up their mind). I would also continue to scream at them using such phrases as, “why the hell are you all here if you don’t have an opinion?!” before throwing my clipboard at them.

This would be poor marketing research.

I seem to remember something about the wall clocks being sold in the stores too. If you looked at the packaged clocks, the little hand is on 10:00 and the big hand is on ten after 10:00 – makes a “smiley face.” People can’t buy sad clocks because they might feel…sad.

Yep, this invaluable information just swims in my head all day long…oh, yes I know marketing research can be a bit more complicated but I know that if I worked in this field, I would have to do the clipboard job - because it's the only job I’m qualified to do.

And I’ve wandered off again…what was I…oh yes, the commercial.

I guess what I’m really trying to say is that I’m disappointed in seeing Antonio’s commercial because it just doesn’t quite work for me – but hey, it’s only me so no big deal. While I like Dean Martin, I feel that a Spanish guitar playing frantically in the background would make the commercial more exciting – like sharks during a feeding frenzy. The advertisers (supported by the market research people) are probably wise not to compare women to sharks. These women might be frantic to go out and buy something. Advertisers do not want to provoke an attack. Like what happens at a huge shoe sale or a big Sunday brunch buffet.

And can anyone tell me why Antonio Banderas is still wearing his shirt? THIS IS INSANE!!! I believe the correct economic term I am looking for is “opportunity cost” but my memory is a bit foggy on this. I haven't studied this term in years so I only have a vague distant memory of what it meant.

Maybe I am reacting this way because I am jealous that this commercial was produced while my Antonio commercial sits around collecting dust.

Come to think of it, it’s probably better off collecting dust.

2 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Hummmmm could it be that is is very close to the Banshees review that she brings up the image of Atonio?

It worked by the way. Proving once again, that you are Brilliant.

Babbling Banshee said...

You mean that I didn't need to bake a rum cake?!

I guess I can leave at home now. ;)