Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lingering Resentment

So B, I just want to double check that you are okay. Are you sure you aren’t harboring any resentment towards your old employer for being laid off?

What, me? No. Why?

Oh, I noticed in yesterday’s blog entry that when I asked you if you had any lingering resentment you stated, “naw, not really.” What did you mean by “not really?”

Boy, aren’t you Miss Nosey!

B, I’m you. You’re talking to yourself again. This isn’t exactly investigative reporting. You just seem a little out of sorts and I want to make sure everything’s okay. You’re stuck at home, you need cash and you talk to dogs all day long. You must feel frustrated, right?

Well…

I can’t say I blame you. There’s a lot of stress going on. After all, you just posted a blog entry yesterday – and you’re posting another one today. That’s very unlike you. You must feel some resentment. You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel something.

Well…maybe…oh I can’t talk about it.

Awe come-on, you can talk to me. Who am I going to tell? Besides, I don’t need specifics – actually I don’t want specifics. I just want to make sure you’re okay.

Well…it’s just that…(sigh)…

Take your time and remember I don’t need specifics. I want to make sure you are comfortable.

I think I can talk about this.

It would probably make you feel better.

It probably would but actually, I think I can say what I need to say through an antecdote.

Another story?

Story within a story. Anyway, my brother works for a very small company. And in this small company, he works with five other people. Guess how many managers he has overseeing him and his five coworkers?

One? Two?

There are three people managing the six people on the shop floor.

Sounds like your brother and his five friends are a bunch of wild and crazy guys.

What if they weren't? What if they were just a couple of hardworking and responsibly adults? What then?

Well, that would be just silly served on a plate with a side of annoying!

0 comments: